Thursday, April 9, 2015

Don't Cry .... CRAFT!

Hello,
As some of you may know, there's a new meme sweeping across the phandom.  This meme of course is Don't ______ ..... CRAFT!. For those of your who don't know, this meme was started on April 1st when Dan and Phil started DanandPhilCRAFTS as an April fools joke.  Their motto was "Don't cry ... craft." Now of course, every video you go to is filled with the meme. 
(I.E: BobThePhanLuver2435325: I like this video
hatficl0ver23: Don't like




craft!)

This was kind of funny at first but now it's getting kind of old. I think that the phandom needs some guidelines.  Here's a list of just a few of the times when it's inappropriate to tell someone to craft:
  • When someone is having an anxiety attack.  When I'm having a panic attack and I can't really control myself that well the last thing I want to hear is "Don't panic, craft." (I cover more about what not to do during anxiety attacks here)
  • When someone says they are depressed.
  • When someone talks about self harm. (Someone on Tumblr said that someone told them 'Don't cut, craft' and I honestly think that is disgusting.
That's a very short list of when not to use don't cry craft. Here's an equally short list of times when it is appropriate to use craft:
  • In the comments of a video that is not serious.  If you comment on a serious video you might be crossing into the Don't list. (in extreme moderation do not go respond to all of the comments with 'Don't ____ craft')
  • As a joke (again make sure you aren't also doing the don't list when you do so)
  • In the tags of a post on tumblr.  Phandom seems to like to replace the word cry with craft which is perfectly fine.  If you feel the need to say you're 'crafting over japhan' then I'm not going to judge you. Chances are I'll probably reblog you (I'm that lame).
This was basically just a rant because a few of my followers have been hurt emotionally / mentally because of this meme and I wanted to address this. 
Hugs and Virtual Cookies,
Katniss Stone